Saigon Restaurant - Pork Banh Mi

 



For my first post, I decided to visit Saigon Restaurant on Forest Ave. in Portland. I'd been here before, but only for pho, so this was my first time trying their banh mi. I opted for the pork option - they also offer ham (presumably cold cut) and beef.

This sandwich is on the smaller side compared to some other local banh mis, but it's also very reasonably priced at $6. The bread is tasty and slightly chewy. It's not extremely crisp/flaky like some banh mi buns. While I enjoy the crispiness, those types of buns are also way messier to eat - this is a very neat banh mi. Inside the sandwich, there's pate, slices of roast pork (note - the menu calls it fried pork, but I'm fairly sure it's roasted), the usual veggies and onions, and cilantro. Instead of the typical slices of jalapeño, this sandwich has slices of small red chiles (bird's eye, maybe?). They're quite spicy, but not overwhelmingly so.

If you'd like to try this banh mi, be advised that sandwiches are only available for breakfast and take out. Saigon Restaurant requests that diners call ahead for take out orders.

Comments